Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Iraq: Stolen Pa$t

Let me start by saying that I hate theft and destruction of personal property, which makes it a no brainer that I would not be too happy if this stuff was in my backyard, so to speak, and bandits or terrorist were looting my precious treasures. But they are not mine, so why should I care one iota what these people are doing to fund their war efforts or feed their poverty stricken families? I should care because these artifacts are history and if history is forgotten we shall be doomed to repeat it. Personally, I do not want to return to an ancient mindset and start all over again. I think that progress in civilization is important, and a part of progress is maintaining and studying ancient artifacts, for they contain insights and clues to the history of civilization.
Which brings me to my next paragraph. Maybe, in this instance, it is not America's responsibility to tell Iraq what should be done with their country and it's interests. I think Iraq needs to get it's politics in order and take care of it's own backyard. Since we are involved, perhaps President Obama should allot some of the $50 million stimulus meant for the Endowment of the Arts to train and pay some Iraqi soldiers to safe guard these excavation sites and museums. I do realize, however, that the issue of responsibilities and to whom they belong to goes very deep...but that's a discussion for another time.

1 comment:

Stephanie Lewis said...

The money for the National Endowment for the Arts has been taken out of the stimulus package.