Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Postmodern art and architecture





I think what I like most about postmodern art is that for the most part it is visually entertaining and quite different from anything before it. It is always exciting to encounter something new and different. Although I would have to say that I prefer Modern art to the Postmodern art. I really like Richard Hamilton, Roy Lichtenstein and Andy Warhol so I guess more specifically I really like Pop art. As far as architecture goes I love the experimental aspects of the Postmodern era. It is almost as if the architects said forget what you think a building, or house should look like and then went on to build these structures in ways that we could not have even fathomed in the past. But again I would have to say that I prefer the Modern architects like Frank Lloyd Wright and Frank Gehry. For me it is hard to pinpoint where Modernism gives way to Postmodernism. I love the “organic” qualities of Frank Lloyd Wrights work, I just think he is fabulous and I love, love, love his work. Frank Gehry is quite awesome as well, some of his buildings are just crazy and they blow my mind like the Walt Disney Concert Hall in Los Angles and the Dancing House in Prague. Talk about thinking outside the box, Gehry is quite literally doing that.

One thing that I don’t really like about Postmodern art and architecture is that sometimes anything and everything is not always a good thing. I am all for experimenting and challenging “ideas” but I think that in some cases art and artists with actual thoughts, feelings, ideas to express and talent are over shadowed by for lack of a better word, crap.


As far as the future of this period in art goes I think we will just have to wait and see. As much as things change they often stay the same.

No comments: