Sunday, January 31, 2010

Introduction to Steve Wright

My name is Steve Wright and I am in Stephanie Lewis' Art History I class Spring 2010.

I am a "Re-entry" student here at NWACC. I returned to school this past year when I was laid off from my job of 7 years. I had been the Director of Sales, Marketing and Revenue Management at the Hilton Garden Inn-Bentonville on SE Walton Blvd. Prior to that I was the Director of Sales & Marketing at the Courtyard by Marriott-Bentonville which I opened in 1996. My career in hotel management took off quickly my senor year of college when I was hired by Hyatt Hotels & Resorts into their Management Training Program. Unfortunately, I didn't earn a high enough grade in one of my last general education required classes. Thus, I found myself gainfully employed, but with out my degree. I took advantage of my lay off and returned to NWACC to complete some transfer courses to meet the new requirements of my original degree program . Thus, I finally earned a Bachelor of Science in Hotel, Restaurant & Tourism Management with a Minor in Business Administration from the University of Wisconsin where I started.

Now that I have my degree, and have overcome the hurdle of returning to school I enjoy it. I am continuing my education while time permits. I am studying basic Art Appreciation, Art History and hopefully American Art History when it becomes available. Although I don't have any real artistic talent to speak of, I have discovered a passion for art during my many travels in the US and overseas. I have been intrigued for a few years since Alice Walton announced her commitment to build a world class American art museum in Northwest AR. I have been engaged with Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art and Crystal Bridges at the Massey since they started having public programs and exhibitions. My dream job would be working as part of the Crystal Bridges management team. It would meld my experience with management, tourism and passion for art.

I am also taking continuing education classes through the NWACC Corporate Learning Division. I am pursuing a Certification in Human Resource Management with the American Management Association through NWACC. This credential is to capitalize and expand upon my acquired human resource management experience during my career in hotel management. Thus, improving my re-employment possibilities.

I look forward to discussing art, art history and art theory.

No comments: