Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Art Stars

Michelangelo, Da Vinci, and Caravaggio were in fact all brand names. They went from being lowest of the low to the most sought after artist of the period due to the amazing artwork and pieces of art they did. I think this happened due to the Renaissance in part. I think that once more types of art were being accepted more and more things were commissioned. No longer did they have simply altarpieces or things commissioned by the church, they moved into a more open type of expression. I think once people realized just how talented and amazing these artist were they began to understand that what they were doing was amazing. The pieces of art were magnificent and people started to realize that. I, personally, do not think that we have artistic 'masters' today. We have not in the recent years had anything done as beautifully as the Sistine Chapel or things of this nature. I think that no matter what, nothing will top those types of artists. They were the best of the best and they deserved the title that they got; 'masters'. I also think that artist these days have a dirty title. They are usually seen as people struggling with their lives and just barely making end meet. Even with the rare people who do well with art like Jackson Pollock, for the most part, there are no major artist like there was during this time. I think that it is something we take for granted because I dont think there will ever be artist like that, with that talent, again.

No comments: