Monday, April 14, 2008

Government funding of the arts

I think that it is obvious that the arts tend to get overlooked by the United States Government, especially during the currently situation that the US has found itself in. Whenever funding is cut in the US the first thing to go is the arts and theatre. The thing about this is, the arts are what inspire children. Studies have shown that a child that is active in the arts, is more inclined to do well in school, stay out of trouble, raises their IQ's and potentially get better jobs further down the road. It also might give them a way to express themselves in ways that they might not have been able to do before.

When I was younger, I was very shy (most of you who know me know might find this shocking) so my mother decided to put me into a community theatre group here, called the Art Center of the Ozarks. Every Saturday morning I would go to play rehearsals and put on plays every few months. This helped develop my personality instead of sitting at home, watching TV, and playing video games. I think the arts does the same today. I think that without funding, we might have to find more creative ways to come up with money for these programs or just do without them. There has to always been a need to produce art and be apart of art and I feel that there is. People who want to shut it down are usually those who do not understand the point of art or see how it's important. They are also the same people that got us in the current state the US is in. Hopefully, when election time comes, people will start voting more with their head instead of who appears to be a ethical, Christian leader. I think if we ever do loose the arts, people will eventually see the loss of this important part of our lives and soon after will help start producing it again. Hopefully, things will never come down to that, but if it ever does happen, there will be an absence in every one's lives.

No comments: