Sunday, December 7, 2008

Where did all the individuals go?

Postmodern art and architecture is about celebrating the culture, the artist with the audience no longer excluding the viewer. Postmodernism was about experiencing and expressing art in way that moved people inside and out. Postmodernism to me can not be described as a style but rather a time in history, a cultural phenomenon. I think that the art was in need of a change because the audience and the community were getting pushed out of the relationship with art during the Modern Era. I love postmodernism paintings and I probably love the architecture even more. I love the whimsy of the work, and the idea of embracing the imagination. I think architecture can be very dry at times especially now days with the millions of sub-divisions with cookie cutter like houses. I don’t understand in the modern, technological world that we live in today why we don’t embrace our ideas and run with them as far as the imagination can stretch. Instead, houses of today lack individualism, creativity, and most of all they lack whimsy. I think that people are two caught up in trying to live the American standard dream to realize that they may have ideas and dreams of their own and should express those in every part of their life including art and architecture. Maybe it is the area that I live in but I feel like I am stuck in a twilight zone with everything having to be the same and impersonal. Well I can’t speak for everyone about what the future in art and architecture should be but for me I think the next big thing and sort of is already is GREEN! I think that everyone should think about the best medium we have to day, the Earth. I love some of the new ideas that are already out for home design. They are Modern, stylish, comfortable and good for the environment and budget homes that can be customized as much as your imagination will allow. That’s what I want and I don’t care if I have to plant my Modern, Green friendly home in the middle of a cookie cutter sub-division to make it a reality.

No comments: