Friday, December 12, 2008

Response to Outsider Art Film

I thought this film was a very interesting film. It made me wonder how many more people like that there are out there. I'm not so sure that he would've been that succesfful had he tried to show his art to the public, however, because he was a strange kind of person. I found it rather sad that he had no enjoyment out of the real world, only his fake one.

After watching the movie for awhile and seeing how many of the drawings he had I thought it was pretty crazy how much he had accomplished. I couldn't believe that he had even kept accounts of 'war costs' in his fake world. The girls reminded me of the more recent power puff girls, only with 'man parts.' I thought that was especially strange. I think that he put the male genetalia on them because he honestly didn't know any difference, just like his land lord had said. Looking at everything he accomplished is very interesting because he was so creative and devoted to his art, it's too bad that he didn't get any recognition from it during his lifetime.

1 comment:

Stephanie Lewis said...

You say, "I found it rather sad that he had no enjoyment out of the real world, only his fake one." Lots of people live in "fake worlds" and not real ones -- compulsive gamers, for instance. Is that sad? I actually think that it's sadder. At least Darger PRODUCED something even though it wasn't initially intended for others' viewing.