Thursday, December 11, 2008

Realms of Darger - Creepy or Quaint

Henry Darger, I can't quite put my thumb on it. Nowadays his skills with organization and development of a massive sprawling storyline would do him good. People like that kind of in-depth and over the top story telling. I mean, Tolkien's works have been disected and spun off in a million different ways. But this is about Darger and his artist qualities. First, I don't think he was an outsider artist. Then again, I don't believe anyone is, mainly because you can't really put that kind of label on art or artists. Calling Darger an outsider would put so many thousands of artists in that position, including myself. Darger as a person, going off of what I heard and not actually meeting the man himself, seemed, pretty creepy. I can't say that I don't pine for solitude with my work and only emerging for a job and food, but I don't actually do it. As a fellow megalomaniac I find his work inspiring and fascinating, it's not quite my cup of tea along the lines of content, but it's vast depth and split ending makes it so incredible, I LOVE IT!
He seemed to do the best he could along the lines of aesthetic nature I found awful, but again, the content wasn't my cup of joe. He indeed was an artist and I don't think an outsider at all, everyone has done work that hasn't been seen, or was secret or had meaning to only us, this is the only way I would think they could see him as an outsider. All of us are artists, every person on the face of this earth. Henry had a job and functioned in society, just because he was totally creepy doesn't make him an outsider, I consider Tim Burton an artist, and he's creepy too.

No comments: