Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Fine Arts vs. Graphic Design

I think this question isn't as simple as black and white, I think that there is a gray area which can not be as easily defined. Here goes by stab at defining the difference. Fine art is produced for the artist and by the artist, in which they can express their beliefs, point of views, and the world as they see it. Some might even say that it is produced more for beauty or spiritual significance than for physical utility. I don't believe that fine art CANT have a message behind it, I believe that the artist can express their views about politics, economy, culture, and religion. Graphic Design is the art or profession of visual communication that puts together words, images, and ideas to convey information to an audience. I think the main difference is commercial. I think that graphic design takes out the ability to create what the artist wants freely, instead they have to go through a chain of command of what other people's visions are, what they want, what the consumers want. One is freeing and one is advertising. But like I said in the beginning, I don't believe it is just simply black and white, I believe that there is a undefined gray area, but that is just my believe, my opinion, and my view.

Stay Strong and Stay True,
Danielle Parum

No comments: