Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Having a theocratic government, in my opinion has more disadvantages than advantages, I feel a government shouldn't be allowed to tell it's people what or who they can worship. This is just a simple part of enjoying a free society. I can see the “complete” rule type of dictatorship can cause some type of rebellion. In the Roman times, there were Christians that would worship underground and were persecuted for their beliefs. To me, that doesn't sound like a very kind government. In the totalitarian way ancient Rome ruled its subjects this was a way of life. Until Constantinople began his reign, the Romans were Pagans and you were punished for believing otherwise.
The only real advantage I can see for a theocratic government is that it has it's “subjects” under complete control. This of course could be beneficial for tax purposes and state funding. If everyone is on the same page on beliefs, then you can set up a tax for what ever diety is decided on being worshiped.
I love the fact that in America we are allowed to worship what ever we want. I am very thankful to not live in the day of Theocracy. That's part of what makes our country great. The freedom of religion is the reason why this country was founded. Because of England's theocratic ways, people were forced to flee for a better place. Religion has caused many wars throughout history, and once again, that's why I am so thankful to be living here today.

No comments: