Sunday, September 13, 2009

All part of the grand illusion

David Hockney's film was one of my favorite days in school. It adds a grand new perspective to the philosophical definition of art. This puts the great masters even closer to the category of "graphic designers." Their were heavily reliant on their tools, and much of what they did was commissioned. Furthermore, their art was often more about communication than expression. This find even further blurs the lines between graphic design and fine art.

Athletes are highly skilled in their sport, however the top tier athletes are also dependent on the most advanced technology of the day. A golfer's club, a runners shoes, and a swimmer's suit are all examples of technologies that give modern athletes an extra edge that help them to break records. Does that make them less skilled? Me and Michael Phelps could exchange swim suits and goggles and I would still lose a race. If I had the same tools as the "masters," I don't believe that I could do the same work.

Like the masters, my art is dependent on tools. I use the computer, mouse, and cameras to achieve my art and communicate my ideas and feelings. I think that if renaissance artists had computers, modern lenses, and other tools they would use them much the same as we do today.

No comments: