Friday, September 12, 2008

Response to Video

This video was somewhat disappointing, but interesting as well. I'm not sure if I believe all of the theories presented in the video. But there were some very clever points made. I think it's sad in a way that, if all the ideas were true, we were "tricked" into believing the art works from the past were created solely on the human eye.
However, I think these artist who used the method of using mirrors and lenses to create a more accurate picture were very smart. Should we think less of them? Or should we think more of them? With the discovery of using mirrors and lenses, I think it was a good idea for them to keep the method a secret. They wanted to be the best, so why would you tell everyone how you create such beautiful, realistic paintings?
Although using these simple tools created a much easier way to project the final image, they still had to consider lighting and make their paintings believable. I like the part when they "all of a sudden" had tons of left-handed people in their paintings. But the artist realized it and fixed it, which I think is very fascinating. Overall I enjoyed the video. It made me think a lot about how lenses change perspective, and made some very interesting points.

No comments: