Friday, August 28, 2009

Art History 2 Introduction

My name is Robert (Bob) Kampman. I'm a native Arkansan, originally from the metropolitan area of Yellville, Arkansas (pop. 1000something), home of the infamous annual Turkey Trot Festival. I've lived in Fayetteville for 3 years now, and love it here despite the utter lack of turkey related festivities. I guess bikes and blues will have to suffice. My current hobby/obsession is the guitar... Also, I like arguing about religion and politics way too much...

Visual art, namely drawing/painting, is much more than a hobby or mild interest of mine; It is what I've commited my direction in life toward in terms of career and and my identity in general. So yeah, it's a big deal to me. I originally attended NWACC in 2003/04 with the intention of getting an AAS in graphic design because I thought it sounded like a cool job, though I wasn't really much of an artist at that time.. And after taking a drawing and painting class (and other art related courses, including art history 1), I realized my calling was for fine art, not commercial. I didn't return to school the following year and, instead, began learning to draw, paint, and, otherwise, discover myself as an artist on my own...for free. But, alas, I want a career with a steady paycheck, so I am back in school and pursuing a BFA in Art Education... I see myself as an art teacher in about 4 years and hopefully as a working studio artist as well.

No comments: