Monday, September 22, 2008

Primavera by Botticelli

Primavera by Botticelli is a very interesting painting. Even more so after learning why the painting was commissioned in the first place. Who would have thought that once upon a time it was normal to receive a painting depicting acts of rape as a wedding present. I suppose that considering the circumstances of an arranged marriage in some weird way it does however make some sense. I find it interesting that there are so many different takes on the actual meaning of the painting or maybe more specifically what the central focus actually is. To me is seems obvious to first be drawn to the central image of Venus and then your eye begins to wonder and after taking in each group of people you kind of see it as a whole. I must say that I am fascinated by the flowers in painting. Considering that there are over 150 different species of flowers, I mean wow! Who does that? As I look at the painting the flowers are noticeable but not so much that I would have realized that there were so many different ones. It would take a lot of time and effort and not to mention a pretty vast knowledge of flowers or at least a great deal of research to accurately depict so many flowers. I think this is what struck me most about the painting after watching the film. Sure the theme is a bit crazy and somewhat of a shock but I am just amazed by the amount of detail in the flowers, so many flowers. It’s just crazy and that is all I can say about that.

No comments: